Old April 22nd 04, 04:31 AM
B2431

From: "Kevin Brooks"

But seriously, pepper spray has limited range and is OK for your own
personal protection. But if a cat threatens or grabs a kid you need to be

able
to reach out and touch the cat.

The problem is too many people carry sprays rated for humans. If memory serves
California has a law that limits the strength of the spray and requires
training before purchase.

I personally don't carry such a thing and use common sense around bears. Brown
bears are a bit laid back to the point of being lazy. Just look at a berry
patch one has raided. They leave quite a lot of berries and move on to where
they are easier to reach.

One safe thing to assume about any bear: if they are in your campsite at night
be prepared to fight. I hang my food at least 20 feet up and as far out on a
limb as is possible. I do this in a tree 10 - 15 yards upwind. Yes, full grown
bears can climb trees.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired