Old June 6th 18, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Average time to solo a student

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 10:48:23 AM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 07:54:26 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

That is terrific for ab initio!

Fastest I ab initio know of is a student who soloed off the winch on a 5
day course last year at my club's flatland site. I first met her when she
was flying dual on a rather 'interesting' hill site:
http://edensoaring.co.uk/ - check out how they describe their field!
This was during a club expedition at the start of October. She seemed to
handle that combination of small field and new glider type (ASK-13) well.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Martin, she beat me by two days. I soloed on the 7th day and the 28th winch launch at Oerlinghausen, Germany, a well known publicly funded gliding school. Proud to say I was 1st in my group of 7 to solo (in Germany that means you do 3 consecutive flights). I was 30 years old. All flights were done on the winch, glider was ASK 13.
Herb