Old February 13th 10, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Kurt Ullman

Default Frontline documentary on the problems with regionals

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Does the safety record really make a difference?

For a substantial minority of passengers (a 30-50%, I'd guess), it does make
difference, if they are made aware of the safety record. Many people have had
it drilled into them that airline travel is completely, totally safe,
however,
and probably don't ask themselves any questions today. The problem is that,
while air travel is very safe, it isn't completely safe, and the differences
in safety between a major airline and a regional are real and significant.

So, if they care, they would find out who is running the flight and
stay away. Most of the websites I have looked around on tell you at
least the aircraft and mostly the carrier if it is other than the
airline itself. If anyone is interested all they really have to do is
stay on equipment from Boeing or Airbus and they should be with the
"real" airlines.

Airlines and the airline industry deliberately avoid all discussion of
safety,
and won't even talk about relative safety. They tell everyone that it's
always
110% safe everywhere, with no difference between carriers. But there are
differences.

That Dateline, USA Today, the NYT, the AP and a multitude of other
sources point out from time to time.

--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars