Old September 27th 04, 06:17 PM
Nathan Young

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:38:36 -0700, "David Brooks"
wrote:

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 14:35:35 -0700, "David Brooks"
wrote:

The other day I wanted to fly VFR across RITTS, which is both the LOM for
the ILS, and the origin for the NDB approach, to PAE. I was traveling

east
at right angles to the approach course. I decided to call Center, who
handles approaches in these parts. Although it was clear VFR and I know

he
could see me on his scope, I thought it would be polite to tell him my
intentions and give him a confirmed altitude.

He gave me a bored Roger and asked if I wanted FF.

To the controllers in this group, was that a marginally helpful call to
make, neutral, or annoying? Should I have only bothered if I had heard
another craft setting up an approach?

I am trying to visualize what took place.

You were flying VFR (presumably not talking to ATC), and made a callup
to ATC to let them know you were in the area? What kind of airspace?
What info did your callup include?

Class E, a few miles outside PAE's D. My info was "callsign, VFR, crossing
RITTS eastbound, level 2500. Just giving you a verified altitude".

I know you can expect to find plenty of instrument student/currency flights
crossing RITTS southbound at either 2000 or 3000. I hadn't been listening
long enough to hear if there were any.

Unless you were going to head into PAE (and stay in touch with tower),
the call was not the norm for VFR radio procedures. I doubt the
controller found it annoying, but he/she probably was confused.

Typically a position report like that would be given when requesting
some type of service, for example: FF, transition through the D, or
landing at the D. That's probably what confused the controller, which
led to the less than enthusiastic response and then the question of
whether or not you wanted FF.

-Nathan