Old October 12th 17, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default Is there a nose hook modification for a standard cirrus

On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 9:39:49 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
It seems everyone concerned with CG hooks has some horror story about
gliders losing control.Â* I'll go out on a limb and lay that one squarely
in the lap of the pilot.Â* Sure, there aren't the self-righting forces
inherent in having the point of force far ahead of the CG, but a
competent pilot should be capable of correcting displacements from the
desired track or pulling the release.Â* If one's decision on purchasing a
glider is based upon whether or not the glider has a nose hook, I would
question the training or ability of the pilot.

--
Dan, 5J

It can happen pretty fast - no matter how quick you are on the release. Particularly with a ballasted wing, a tip skid instead of a wheel and if you are more than 100' down the runway when it happens and have a head of steam.

I have no idea how much a nose hook might help. You can end up off the runway without generating much of a difference in path angle. My advice is to brief any wing runner you haven't used before - they have a lot of influence over the ultimate outcome.

Andy Blackburn
9B