Old March 12th 13, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jsoar Aero

Default Condor

As a “senior” student pilot, with 25 years of powered ultralight and
ultralight glider flying experience yet only now going for my PPGL so I can
fly a “real” sailplane, I have found Condor to be very useful in my
learning process.

When I first started lessons I did 2 or 3 training flights one day a
weekend. Then nothing until the next weekend. I was not progressing all
that well with cross-wind aero-tow take-offs and landings, with just the
few seconds each flight to learn how to deal with them.

Then someone at the club suggested Condor. So I set up a system and started
flying several times during the week. It allowed me to explore the dynamics
of most flight maneuvers by trying things to see what happened, until I
figured out what was going on. Then with a lot of practice, my correct
reactions became more automatic.

The Condor sessions also allowed me to stay focused on flying during the
week, so I was ready to go the first flight of the next real-life session.
My flying quickly improved after that.

Now I mostly fly Condor set to strong (gusty) winds, so I have to keep my
head out of the cockpit and watch the horizon and ground all the time to
control my speed and direction. Then with only time for an occasional
glance at the panel, it helped me to learn to read and interpret the
instruments quickly.

Also I set Condor up with LK8000 on a PDA and have been learning some of
the issues of cross-country flying, which has been a lot of fun too.

Maybe Condor is not that great for starting students, I don't know, but it
sure helped me in my situation.