Old April 15th 14, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PowerFlarm v3.40

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:51:16 AM UTC-4, RuudH wrote:
Op zondag 13 april 2014 20:05:26 UTC+2 schreef Auxvache:

Went to update to the latest version of PF--3.40--and one item in the release note made me hesitate:

With this update Flarm hopes to reduce the numerous nuisance "dangerous traffic warnings" (DTW).

A nuisance DTW could be described as a warning with red beeping Flarm V3 display or DTW on Butterfly while the traffic that is causing this warning is still at a safe distance.

See photo of such a situation on https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ic-warning.jpg

At that time I was climbing in a thermal and the gilder that caused this waring (equipped with transponder with ADS-B out) was flying past me at a distance of 1200 meters.

In Europe a lot of gliders are flying around with mode-s transponders with ADS-B out.

PowerFlarm does not treat the ADS-B signal in the same way as the Flarm signal for a number of reasons.

I have been flying with PowerFlarm for almost a year now and have seen many many nuisance DTW's caused by gliders that have transponders with ADS-B out.

In the mean time I have delivered diagnostic data to Flarm that enables them to improve the firmware and hopefully reduce the number of nuisance DTW's

I certainly hope that Flarm is able to solve this problem soon, because nuisance warnings are also dangerous. I you get used to so much warnings you might not react to a real DTW.

Hmm... interesting that gliders are equipping ADS-B out in Europe. So far
the US has been insisting on a GPS source that costs more than the rest of
the instruments put together. I wonder if this will ever change?

Matt