Old May 7th 19, 09:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_6_]

Default Implausible Time Records

Returning to the original problem, the warning from OLC is not particularly
helpful. The only problem detected was the out-of-sequence times. If these
were caused by corruption of the GPS signal, it should not affect the time
record. A failure of GPS signal will be shown in the IGC file as a zero GPS
altitude. This is not the case, therefore we can take it that it is not a
GPS problem.

As the time error occurred during take-off, when the glider was only a few
feet AGL, it was long before the start of the ‘Soaring Performance’, so
OLC is being a bit pedantic. I very much doubt if a Badge Claim would have
noticed this. SeeYou just skips over it.

I see this as a problem owned by ClearNav, although I have seen similar
time sequence errors in other recorders over the years. It will be
interesting to see if it reappears with the latest firmware.

Tim.
--
At 22:20 06 May 2019, Dan Marotta wrote:
These dropouts never occur during engine run which normally only runs 10
minutes or less from engine start to shutdown after takeoff.

Heating up the dielectric is something I didn't consider.Â* Maybe I
should replace the antennae...

On 5/6/2019 11:39 AM, kinsell wrote:
On 5/6/19 10:32 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
I've also had drop outs with my Trig TN-70 and its antenna, though
not as often as with my soaring GPSs.

Do they correlate with the engine running?Â* If so, might be ignition
noise.

Yes, the wires are tiny, but it was pretty simple to desolder them
from the puck, clip the cable to length, strip, tin, and solder.Â* I
did that for 3 antennae and they generally work fine, but lately have
acting up.

It's easy to overheat the dielectric in the coax, causing loss of
signal strength.

On 5/6/2019 9:44 AM, kinsell wrote:
Jamming is directed skyward, they're not taking out car gps's in a
400 nm radius.Â* If you're getting bad time stamps just at liftoff,Â*

it's not likely caused by jamming.

I'm suspicious of your cut-down gps cables, those are tiny wires to
be working on.