Old November 30th 10, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bug Dout

Default Death of the newsgroup.

Dancing Fingers writes:

May be we're just old farts holding on to antiquated technology?

Maybe. But this antiquated technology--Usenet--is still the best way to
exchange ideas, nimrods and trolls aside:

- One place to get every topic you're interested in. In contrast, with
forums you have to create a login for each one, even in the same
topic!
- Newsreaders (I use gnus within Emacs) can efficiently display messages
and allow the user to rapidly page through posts.
- Very efficient use of bandwidth, both Internet and mine. No stupid
cutesy images, avatars, blah blah.
- Newsreaders can be setup to screen out the idiots. In this case gnus
is probably the most powerful but also the most difficult to learn.
--
Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life.
- I. Kant