Old July 29th 05, 05:57 PM
Andy Blackburn

At 08:06 29 July 2005, Veli-Matti Karppinen wrote:
NF wrote:
I'm looking for a GPS solution on tight budget for
my iPAQ 3630.

What i need is
- a cheap GPS,
- an external power source that won't drain the onboard
battery.
I got the freeware - flyWithCE (even though i never
had the chance to try
it).

What i want is a ligthweigt and compact kit that's
easy to carry and install
in different (mostly rented) gliders.

I think my iPAQ is a bit outdated and won't last forever,
so i prefer to
invest in a GPS that will fit with a newer model once
i get so far.

Hints, ideas and recommandations are very appreciated
- offers will be
considered.

Will 250$ / 200? get me going?

regards,
Niels

I have an expansion pack with extra battery and a PC-Card
slot for the
3630 and use a Haicom CF-card GPS with an interface
module in it. A very
compact solution in my opinion. GPS_LOG is another
software option (
http://www.soaringpilotsoftware.com ) for low budget
solutions.

BR Veli-Matti

I have a GlobalSat Bluetooth GPS that I have used as
a backup on my iPaq 5550. It's about the size of two
books of matches, can be placed anywhere and runs for
14 hours on a charge. The iPaq, sadly, needs additional
battery capacity.

9B