Old March 17th 05, 07:58 AM
Jim Carriere

Default My kneeboard sucks...

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:

Anyone got any good reccommendations for a helicopter kneeboard? This
ASA unit I've got now sucks and my FlightDesk tri-fold gets in the way
of cyclic and collective..

I take it that you wear it on your left leg. Have you considered
switching legs? Is it important to you to give your cyclic arm a
steady rest against your knee, or do you prefer the kneeboard on the
left because you are left handed?

Personally I prefer mine on my left leg to make my right hand steady,
although being right handed I have had learned to write neatly enough
with my left hand. Just a couple thoughts before you commit to
buying a third kneeboard.

Mine is pretty much a standard military issue like the one on the
right in this pictu

http://www.flightessentials.net/Prod...es/MXU-163.jpg
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...litary_brd.php

There are better products out there, it's pretty clunky but does the
job for me. The spring thing does hold a pencil nicely. The bottom
is round, not flat (to fit your leg), so it doesn't teeter when I
write on it. I've never bothered with the light. I do have an LED
"lip light" on my mic, and that piece of gear is very useful.

The kneeboard also doesn't interfere with the flight controls for me,
although I normally sit left seat in a Jetranger (I instruct). This
is significant because the left collective is shorter and ends in a
throttle while the right seat collectiveis much bulkier (starter
switch, searchlight, and governor control take up some space).

Most importantly I figured out how to get a pad of paper to sit where
I want.

Does... any of... this... help?