Old May 16th 04, 12:04 AM
Leslie Swartz

Yes, the platform would be physically capable as long as you were able to
fire the shot from within 300 yards . . . out to 500 in a no-wind (3 mph)
conditions. Platform instability combined with wind effects and ragne
estimation errors would make it impossible to keep shots within a 14" CEP
otherwise

Now, mount hte gun on something with more stability and more capability to
perform wind corrections, lead computing, etc. (like an C-130); something
with a crew maybe and lots of computers, and you probably could get "Minute
of Achmed" accuracy out to 800 yards.

However- getting inside the 300 yards needed for long enough to develop and
take the shot; now there's the rub as they say.

Are we willing to spend that much time and effort (and lose that many
platforms) for individual targets at this point?

Steve Swartz

"Dav1936531" wrote in message
I am seeing all kinds of pics comming out of Iraq of the jihadis mulling

around
in the streets carrying RPG's and AK's.

I was just wondering if it would be possible to make a Predator drone with

.50 caliber sniper rifle in it to pick these guys off. Say, put a magazine

with
50 or 100 rounds onboard, loiter the drone over bad guy areas, spot them

with
the Predator's optical systems, and zap them. Human snipers using the .50

have
kill shots from over 1 mile away.

Of course, linkage between the optical system and the gun's aim point

would
have to be worked out.

I realize the Predators can fire the Hellfire (IIRC), but in civilian

areas
using this may be too politically inexpediant.

Would the Predator be stable enough for something like that?

I would think, if it is, you could make a platform that could take care of
large numbers of enemy with minimum civilian damage and at low cost.

Further,
the jihadis would live under the constant threat of instant termination
whereever they are identifiable by the Predator operator as weapons

carrying
enemies.

Comments?
Dave