Old November 26th 16, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Sale today on 12 Volt flexible solar panel

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 5:39:58 AM UTC-8, krasw wrote:
Why bother with solar panels when you can buy light weight lithium batteries with enough juice for anything you can imagine? Solar panels are from age of lead batteries.

Besides effectively increasing battery capacity, they are very useful for recharging the batteries between flights. We are continuing to add electronic devices (transponders, flarm, foot warmers, etc.) while on-board battery capacity is stagnant. In some gliders, like the DG80x, battery capacity is already at a critical level (and lithiums are not an option). If I ordered a new glider I would definitely go with the solar option (assuming it is available with Strobls closing).

Tom