Old January 23rd 17, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Charlie Gibbs

Default IFR in a vintage 172 - vacuum system

On 2017-01-23, Curt Johnson wrote:

On 1/22/2017 11:17 AM, Charlie Gibbs wrote:

replacing venturis

Have you considered a Garmin G5 or similar EFIS and eBaying the
mechanical gyros?

Actually, the Dynon D10 sounds like an interesting option,
especially now that an STC is available. It'd fit quite nicely
in the panel in place of the existing attitude indicator, which
is probably due for replacement anyway. (I recently replaced the
heading indicator, which finally packed it in after 30 years of
faithful service, and the AI is the same age.) Since the D10 has
its own pitot tube - which, as a bonus, contains an angle-of-attack
probe - that'd handle the pitot replacement I'd need anyway, as
long as it's heated. And the D10 would give me heading indications
while the heading indicator is spinning up.

--
/~\ lid (Charlie Gibbs)