Old April 1st 21, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

Default new SSA web site

On 4/1/2021 10:04 AM, Guy Byars wrote:
On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 6:57:37 PM UTC-4, noel.wade wrote:
*sigh*

No contest scores, anywhere. sigh, indeed.

Starting home page is WAY too busy with all the background video.

When I registered the "ssa.org" domain back in 1993, never thought it would come to this....

FWIW, I really dislike anything on a web page that "moves" without my
asking it to. E.g., videos, or even slideshows. (And audio.) As a
casual visitor it would drive me away.

Also, the home page as it is now takes "forever" to load with my slowish
connection. That too drives me away.

My advice is to keep videos and such on other pages, behind clearly
labeled links.

If this stays as it is, I'll have to bookmark some less busy entry point
to avoid the home page. Too bad I'll miss whatever announcements will
be on the home page.

I also wonder why the state records info is now (apparently) hidden
behind the login wall. Those shouldn't be secrets withheld from the
public. On the contrary, they should be touted as examples of what can
be achieved flying sailplanes. In the old format, this section showed
very little info on the actual record flights - there should be a
(static) image showing a (small) map of the flight path along with
prominent landmarks the general public can recognize. Since the
record-keeper carefully looks over the flight log, generating such an
image would be a small extra step. (And I'm amazed so many old records
were listed without even the glider type!)