Old May 17th 04, 10:27 AM
anonymous coward

news
Would I be right in assuming that ballistic parachutes and pusher props
don't go?

Thanks,

AC

That does not make sense to me, how would you arrive at such a conclusion?

I assume he's thinking that when you deploy the 'chute the plane will
tend to tip nose-down, risking the 'chute getting fouled in the prop.

Do I get a prize? :-)

I'm not sure, I'll have to ask the quizmaster. My reasoning is mostly
visual and may be wrong, but it goes something like this...

To deploy, a parachute has to be in-line with the direction of motion of
whatever it's slowing down. As counterexamples, if you were in a 'plane
and shot a ballistic parachute forward I imagine it would get swept back
over the canopy without opening. If you shot it upwards or sideways it
wouldn't open until it was swept back behind the aircraft, because there
would only be lateral airflow with respect to the canopy.

This is assuming the aircraft is moving forwards, which I guess it may
well not be... But the problem I envisaged was dynamic rather than
static-ish. When the canopy is open and the plane descending, I guess
whether it's nose down or tail down or level just depends on the
positioning of the attachment point.

AC