Old March 28th 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Practice IMC in real IMC

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 05:28:32 GMT, Jose
wrote:

Most of this can be done under the hood with an instructor, or safety
pilot who is intimately familiar with the airplane and its
requirements and is probably a lot safer.

It's different in the clag. Hoodwork is helpful, but actual can be an
eye-opener.

Yah, it's *usually* a lot easier in the soup than under the hood.
You don't get as many distractions and false clues at to attitude with
maybe the exception of flicker vertigo.

My instructor had me flying in actual right down to minimums to the
point my first solo trip after getting the rating was right down to
minimums. I was expecting I'd have to go over and shoot the ILS at
MBS as most of the area was down to about 200 feet, but about 3 mile
sout it opened up like flying down a inverted canyon about 2 miles
wide, about 4 long, and about 600 high. (MDA is about 500 AGL)

I was far more proficient then than I am now. I need to go spend some
time under the hood and take an IPC refresher.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Jose