Old August 11th 03, 08:19 PM
Tom Seim

If I put my Cirrus in its trailer, and can't lift the hitch onto the
ball with one hand I know I have packed it wrong. OK - it is a light
combination with a total of 840Kg (around 1900lb) but not that different
from the one you tow. Stability is fine up to 65Mph behind my Renault
Scenic (2l mini-mpv) with a tongue weight of 40-50Kg.

This works out to 4.7-6% tongue weight, clearly much less than the
recommended 10-15%. Don't take my word for it: there are plenty of RV
Trailer magazines and web sites that deal with this. I have tried a
lighter tongue weight and found the stability acceptable to only 60-65
mph.

Introducing huge forces and then adding a big
"breakout" force in the form of a spring coupling merely makes the
combination harder to turn when you want it to turn, and makes the
transition to out of control sudden and unrecoverable.

This is just simply wrong. These devices were developed specifically
for towing large travel trailers and they work. Period. They
distribute the tongue weight evenly between the front and rear tires
instead of taking the weight off of the front. They are not hard to
steer and they don't suddenly become uncontrollable.

I am towing a heavy trailer than most of you, so you may get by with
lighter tongue weights by lowering your speed and being very careful.
I like to drive faster and have the extra safety margin.

The Easy Rider will reduce shock and vibration to your trailer, which
your (expensive) glider will appreciate.