Old April 28th 05, 05:02 AM
F.L. Whiteley

Les Walker wrote:

I had George install a Zuni in my ASW19 just last year.
I wanted to have both a CG and a nose hook. I really
wasn't all that comfortable with just a CG release
since I was 'raised' on a nose hook and just didn't
like the feel of the CG hook. The very first time I
used the Zuni I had an inadvertent release at about
900-1000 feet AGL. I had let the glider get a little
higher than it should have been, but I clearly remember
being able to see the tow plane. I would have released
in a hurry had I lost sight of it. Turns out the tension
spring (on mine) is just too weak, and it will release
with very little back pressure. I found this to be
reason enough not to use it again until it is replaced
with a much stronger spring. Unfortunately it will
have to wait until I make the 1000 mi trek to Moriarty
one day. Replacement of the spring requires two small
holes to be cut into the fuse, opposite the ends of
the spring in order to unscrew the retaining bolt and
nut. I'm not comfortable doing it myself. Now all I
use the nose hook for is to be pulled over to the grid.

Les,

Could you elaborate a bit more? What type of ring in use? Tow rope, that
is, with weak or without weak link at glider end, or whiffle ball or some
other rope protection?

Thanks,

Frank