Old April 20th 14, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Sustainers and Self-Launchers- How often and for how long do yourun your motors (after launch)?

On Sunday, April 20, 2014 7:34:21 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Sunday, April 20, 2014 12:31:16 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:

If a pilot isn't using the FES on 10% to 20% of the flights, the pilot

has wasted his money buying the FES. The FES can and should be used to

increase the amount and quality of soaring the pilot does, and flying so

conservatively it's rarely needed will not achieve that goal.

Does this hold true in practice for most pilots and most propulsion systems?

What's your theory/philosophy on motor use and to what extent does your logbook conform to your goal?

Do FES flyers use their motors more frequently than petrol-powered pilots?

Does a motor increase the number of 'good soaring days' for you?

I run the (gas) motor before every flight, because I self launch every flight.

It does increase the number of 'good' days a little because I will go cross country on a more marginal day than I might have otherwise. Not because I will fly low over unlandable terrain, but because the inconvenience of a retrieve from an airport is mitigated. The 10-20% number Eric refers to seems high to me. I have started the engine for a real retrieve I think six times in 14 years. I have restarted it maybe 4 or 5 times for a relight shortly after shutdown.