Old February 2nd 06, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Impressed with the Courtesy of ATC from NC to Miami and Back

"jls" wrote in message One thing I noticed. The controllers have
widely differing
personalilties and voices--and are quick with the words --- a real
treat to listen to.
Ain't life just grand, and that much grander that we can fly!

S**t!! Last I flew from NC to FL, I was instructed to call JAX center upon
landing. I called, and let me tell you how excited that fellow was. He asked
if I was the pilot, and I responded that my answer would depend on what he
was so excited about. First he wanted me to know that Center frequencies are
available in that area. I thanked him, but advised him that his freq doesn't
work so well at VFR altitudes in that area. Then he asked me what it was
like.

S**t!! It was cool. We had taken a film crew fishing, but got skunked to
tune of $2000 in fuel, rigging and tackle, not to mention it was rougher
than snot. We were flying back to FLL after leaving the boat in Moreshead,
NC. I was in the cabin of the plane talking the owner of the boat. Something
outside the window caught my eye. I looked past him and was struck by
instant awe. We had company!

It had a big speed brake that extended to the upright position. Its wings
swept forward as it slowed to our speed. The infrared pod was moving up and
down as it tracked us going up and down. It had Sidewinders.

I did what any good commander would do. I yelled "Get those cameras!"
"ACTION!" "Everyone wave!" "Dammit, Bobby, he doesn't want to see your hairy
buttcrack!" It occurred to me that the F-14 pilot might wonder why the
captain's seat was empty.

He stayed with us for a while. We motioned for him to do a roll, but I guess
he doesn't know how. Then he peeled off. Then we saw his wingman, who had
been behind us up high, peel off and join up with him. It was the highlight
of the whole danged trip. It was better than the time the FSDO called about.

Next time you fly that route, go VFR across the water. Have your camera
ready!

D.