Old September 23rd 04, 01:28 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:_9n4d.234979$Fg5.205968@attbi_s53...
The fiberglass on our "Fancy Pants" main gear wheel pants has been
deteriorating for some time. The holes in the fiberglass through which
the
dzu-type connectors pass are "wowed" out -- and now some of them are
completely broken out.

As a result, several of the metal backing plates have fallen off, and we
made our last flight today with just a single dzu connector holding the
right rear clamshell together. (Fancy pants are not single-piece units,
like the factory wheel pants, but two clamshells that connect together.)

I have removed the pants and taken them to my A&P, who is most comfortable
working with sheet metal. I suspect he will want to rivet a "stripe" of
sheet metal over the wowed out/broken holes, cover this with a thin
"veneer"
of putty, re-drill the holes -- charge me a small fortune -- and pronounce
them airworthy once again.

I am wondering if this is the proper way to go. Can these things be
re-fiberglassed, or is that a lost cause? Is adding metal reinforcements
smart, or simply inviting failure in other parts of the pant?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

You'd need to consult the FAR's to get the scoop, but I believe you can make
non-structural repairs yourself on things like wheel pants. As someone who
has worked with fiberglass (it is awful), I'd find a local EAA type who is
familiar with composite construction. S/he could probably take a look and
explain the repair process to you in 15 minutes. From what you describe,
you're probably looking at several 1-2 hour sessions to prep the pants, lay
up new glass, prepare the surface for paint, and then paint (which I'd hire
out). If you don't wanna do the work, take the pants to a local auto or
boat shop that handles fiberglass work and they will be able to take care of
it with no problem.

KB