Old February 11th 05, 03:32 PM
Gary G

Default Sport Pilot - School Won't Offer

I started my PP training about 1 1/2 years ago, but due to some unfortunate medical problems
in my family, have had to postpone it until this summer.

Now that the Sport Pilot license is available, I inquired with my school.
The manager basically said "it's useless" and couldn't really see why anyone would
want it. Later in his conversation he says, "...unless someone just wants to fly around
their airport - you can't really go anywhere..." - which is only partially true
if one gets an endorsement on ADIZ, Class B, and Cross Country.
However, I see a great opportunity in this program, and would like it as a stepping
stone to my Private.

I will note that they don't have any planes that qualify - I don't know how close a 152 is, but
I think it's a bit over the limit.

I've seen a lot of excitement generated about this license, but I am a little frustrated by the fact
that they would be so opposed to it.
I can see them not going out of their way to get a plane that qualifies - no big deal. That's a business
decision.
But a harsh opposition based on "his view" concerns me.
Maybe if he had justification on safety or other substantive issues, ok.
But such an obtuse statement makes no effort to understand the student.

Does anyone know of places in Maryland that will offer the Sport License?
Frederick?
Laurel?
Tipton?
Bay Bridge?