Old December 4th 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Glide computer review

On Dec 4, 2:47*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,

I would be glad to talk to you and give you my insights into the many
options. *You can also view my product comparisons on my web site under the
"Comparisons" menu.http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/http:...tcomputers.htm

I have played and soared with most soaring instruments. *They all have their
pros and cons. *The key is to find the one that matches your needs and
desires.

You may want to ask some local glider pilots what they like and don't like
about their flight computers.

I can be reached at 952-445-9033 or via Skype.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Itsaplane" wrote in message

I'm looking for a ship to buy and find that I don't have much
perspective in evaluating various glide computers. *Is there an
existing and comprehensive glide computer review?

My doubtlessly flawed view of the glide computer universe divides
things into two main groups - panel mounted and PDA-based. *Another
way to divide things might be between moving map and non-moving map
systems. *I'm sure the type of flying is an important in this choice -
contests vs. general XC flying for example.

At the least, I'm hoping for some guidance to distinguish the
Cambridge 302 and the Ilec SN-10B. *What else deserves to be
evaluated? *Also, are things moving in a particular direction -- like
large super bright (vs. PDA's) built in displays? *Having components
that would be useful for doing that later would be plus.

I value: ease of use, readability in sunlight, the ability to monitor
multiple landing options simultaneously, no 250 turn point limitation
(L-Nav), and reliable wind data. *I like to fly into areas I've never
been to before and haven't done contests - but might.

Thanks to all who will take a crack at this,

Eric
ER

Paul wrote "The key is to find the one that matches your needs and
desires."

This should read "find the one that matches your needs,
desires and pocket book."