Old January 19th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Corvair conversion engines - cracked crank link

"Cal Vanize" wrote

The article does indicate that the cranks were from engines in planes that
were flying. That's the good news. But does that also mean that the
engines need a teardown and inspection as part of every oil change?

If you are running a conversion that is different from William's
conversions, it could be a good idea. g

If people take the time (yeah, lots of it) to read the whole article, you
will notice a few things, and I will attempt to point out some of the more
significant (to me) points.

Biggest point. Do not use corvair engines outside of the recommended
operating parameters. Some sub points.

Biggest one, don't use longer prop extensions. Big time no-no.

Others include, don't use heavy props, or hand carved props. Don't
overstress the prop with some aerobatic maneuvers, or hard landings. Make
sure the crank is properly ground. Oil systems must provide for consistent
oil flow to all parts, at all times; stay away from two line cooler and
filter systems. Use low RPMs and big props, rather than smaller props and
higher RPMs. Avoid detonation, which is easy to let happen, if treated like
an aircraft engine.

Obey all points of his conversion manual. Nitrated cranks are a good way to
add an extra margin of safety, when obeying the conversion manual, but the
other examples that have followed the manual have been OK for long
operational periods, even without the nitrated cranks.

Avoid other's add ons, like extra bearing hubs, as they have not been
tested.

I am sure I missed some points, or miss stated some, but if you are using
corvair power, it would be wise to investigate what this man has to say, and
not take my word on it.

I remember saying a long time ago, that I would feel better (or something
like that) if a redrive was used to take the stress off of the crank. I
think I will still stand by those words. Of course, It would need to be a
properly researched and tested redrive, which at this time, does not exist.
--
Jim in NC