Old May 27th 19, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Another EXTREMELY low thermal save

On Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 1:16:06 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I’m afraid video may be making pilots take these risks.

https://youtu.be/PlXeHeR5Ma8

I'm not quite sure what glider that is. It's certainly neither his current ASG29, nor the Std Libelle he owned before that.

It's old enough to have a turnpoint camera mount! I'm going to go with Std Cirrus. Looks roomy, and the curves of the instrument panel and vent look right.

He never went below 90 km/h (48.6 knots), which seems absolutely fine for a glider like that in that situation. In a 30 degree turn the stall speed should be around 36 knots, so that's a pretty good margin.