Old March 24th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

Default Just Bought A Plane? STAY OUT OF FLORIDA !

On Mar 23, 7:22*pm, BobR wrote:
On Mar 23, 5:39*pm, wrote:

On Mar 23, 3:44*pm, Peter Clark

wrote:
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:34:57 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
This latest line of zzzoom B.S. is one of those deals that just don't
add up. Can you imagine Netjets or some outfit like that flying a new
Gulfstream into Florida to pick up a charter and get that tax bill.
Maybe the state should just post a tax collector at each gate at MIA
and bill American every time they taxi in a new 777.

I liked the part toward the end of his rant about SnF inflating their
visitor count. I remember when the worthless ******* sued me (I won).
He stated under oath that he had in excess of 45,000 paid subscribers
to his so called magazine most believe it was closer to maybe 4,000 or
less.

This is just his latest ploy to stick it to SnF for barring him from
the show. You can about set your watch by his annual anti- Sun n Fun
rant.

*Frank M.Hitlaw at my Secret World Hq

He might have a not-so-secret agenda, but wanna tell the Meridian
owner who got a $100,000+ tax bill when he showed up at SimCom for a
week that it's all in this guy's head?- Hide quoted text -

I got a notion that there is more to this than meets the eye. What if
the guy bought the plane in Florida, he would owe the sales taxes on
it. I can think of other scenarios that could cause this to happen. I
don't know but I am very skeptical of anything that comes from
campbell. So far we have only heard one side of this story.

Frank M.Hitlaw at my Secret World Hq- Hide quoted text -

Specific Exemptions

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----

An aircraft may be purchased tax-exempt if it is sold by or through a
registered dealer to a nonresident purchaser who will remove the
aircraft from this state. Within 5 days of the date of sale, the
dealer must provide DOR with a copy of the invoice, bill of sale, and/
or closing statement; and the original, signed, removal affidavit.

Tax will not be due if either of the following requirements are met:

The aircraft must be removed from Florida within 10 days from the date
of sale.
If the aircraft needs repairs, additions, or alterations, it must
immediately be placed in a repair facility registered with DOR and
removed from Florida within 20 days from the date the work is
complete.
The purchaser must also meet these requirements:

Sign an affidavit attesting that the purchaser has read the applicable
rules and law regarding the exemption claimed and will timely remove
the aircraft as required.
Within 10 days of removal, furnish DOR with proof that the aircraft
left Florida (submit copies of receipts for fuel charges, tie-down
charges, or repair or hangar charges from outside Florida).
Within 30 days of departure, furnish DOR with written proof that the
aircraft was licensed, registered, titled, and hangared outside
Florida.
This exemption does not apply to sales to Florida residents,
corporations whose officers or directors are Florida residents, or
other entities whose controlling individual is a Florida resident.

Seems the specific exemptions are fairly clear. *Based on these, there
should be no reason for fear to those going to Sun-N-Fun.- Hide quoted text -

Trying to tax an airplane (or other vehicle) legally bought and
registered in another state state would be in conflict with federal
laws concerning the 'right of free travel', i.e., you can travel
freely across state borders. They can no more tax a plane in those
circumstances than they can an automobile, boat, etc. Not to say they
can't charge user fees but that is a different animal.

Harry K