Old March 25th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Just Bought A Plane? STAY OUT OF FLORIDA !

Roger wrote in
news
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:45:41 -0400, "Peter Dohm"
wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
. ..

Seems the specific exemptions are fairly clear. Based on these,
there should be no reason for fear to those going to Sun-N-Fun.-

http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/article.../080320fl.html
Apparently some of their collectors are placing a different
interpetation on the rules.

Trying to tax an airplane (or other vehicle) legally bought and
registered in another state state would be in conflict with federal
laws concerning the 'right of free travel', i.e., you can travel
freely across state borders. They can no more tax a plane in those
circumstances than they can an automobile, boat, etc. Not to say
they can't charge user fees but that is a different animal.

Hasn't the statre of Maine been doing just that?

Harry K
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

My copy of AOPA Pilot was in today's mail and, as of press time, the
Maine case is still going. Apparently, the Maine revenue department
won't budge and the case is now headed to court...

Not my area of expertise, so that's all I know.

Me neither, but the AOPA online site is saying they are working with
the state of Florida for a moratorium until after SnF and then rectify
things . They seem to think (the way I read it) is this could be a
big problem for SnF if not settled or a moratorium comes about to
protect those flying into SnF.

The problem I see on here is the guys are so hung up on Zoomn (and I
understand why) but the problem in this case according to the AOPA
is the state of Florida.
Peter

What do you expect of a state of which over 50% of the populace is of an
age where they'll keep your balll if it falls in their yard?

Bertie