Old August 1st 03, 07:14 AM
leslie

John Clonts ) wrote:
:
: How DO you turn off HTML etc. in OE for reading? I looked for a while
: last night and couldn't find it...
:
http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
Configuring Mail Clients to Send Plain ASCII Text

"What is wrong with sending HTML or MIME messages?

There are now six main reasons for NOT doing this:

[snip]

4. Embedded HTML or MIME attachments are the number one method of
spreading virus, worm or Trojan programs.

For instance, the Forgotten worm was written in Visual Basic
Script and spread without any attachment. Instead, the worm code
was embedded into the HTML formatted message body.

The I Love You worm program exploited an ActiveX vulnerability and
was executed just by viewing or previewing the e-mail message
without opening any attachment.

Likewise, embedded code could exploit some MS Office vulnerability
as with Office ODBC Vulnerabilites and Specially Formed Script in
HTML Mail can Execute in Exchange 5.5

[snip]

Turning Off HTML or MIME

There are now a variety of HTML/MIME programs, including but not
limited to:

* Agent/Free Agent
* AOL 5.0 and earlier
* AOL 6.0
* AOL 7.0 REVISED
* AOL 8.0 NEW
* AOL 6.0, 7.0, 8.0 Alternate NEW
* CompuServe 2, 3 and 4
* CompuServe 2000
* Entourage 2001 (MacIntosh)
* Entourage X (MacIntosh)
* Eudora Light v3.0.5 and earlier
* Eudora Light v3.0.6
* Eudora Pro v4.0.2 and earlier
* Eudora Pro v4.2 and later
* Eudora v5.0
* Hotmail
* IncrediMail Xe
* Juno v5.0
* Lotus Notes R5
* Mac OS X Mail NEW
* MS Internet Explorer 4.0, 5.0, 5.50 and 6.0
* MSN Explorer 6.0
* MSN Explorer 7.0
* MS Exchange 4.0 and other MS problems
+ WINMAIL.DAT (TNEF) attachments UPDATED
+ Equal signs at end of lines
+ ISO 8859-1 or other character sets
* Mozilla 1.1
* Netscape Communicator 3.xx
* Netscape Communicator 4.0x - 4.4x
* Netscape Communicator 4.5, 4.6, 4.7
* Netscape Communicator 6.0 - 6.1
* Netscape Communicator 6.2
* Netscape Communicator 7.0 PR1, Final NEW
* Novell Groupwise UPDATED
* Outlook 2000 UPDATED
* Outlook 2002
* Outlook Express 4.0
* Outlook Express 5.0, 5.50, and 6.00
* Outlook 97 (without Service Release 1 SR1)
* Outlook 97 (with Service Release 1 SR1)
* Outlook 98 (Work group version)
* Outlook 98 (Internet version)
* Pegasus Mail 3.x
* Pegasus Mail 4.x
* Pine 4.x (Unix)
* Pine 4.x (Windows)
* Poco 2.xx
* TheBat! v1.18
* WebTV
* Yahoo Mail UPDATED..."

Just click on the link for your news reader; e.g.:

Outlook Express 5.0, 5.50, and 6.00

HTH,

--Jerry Leslie (my opinions are strictly my own)
Note: is invalid for email

" Outlook is a piece of software for giving remote access by
email to all the bugs in Internet Explorer !"