Old April 12th 20, 10:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jld

Default Best option for electric self starting glider

"Part of the problem is that the pylon is located behind the prop, rather in the free stream. Increased thrust will cause higher pylon drag, even if you maintain the same airspeed"
== You should look at modern pylon solutions with clean single pylon and pusher foldable prop.
== FES is not free stream at all, due to fuselage interference.

"Still, neither configuration has a clear advantage for all missions. However, if I ever switch to electric, it will likely be for increased reliability. In this regard, FES would be the clear winner. They pylon in my ship ....."
== again there has been lessons learned over time since ASH, DG, SH and Lange designed their propulsion systems. Pylon designed for electric pushers can have much less components and demonstrate much better reliability.
== A possible advantage of electrical solutions is that it becomes practical for glider manufacturers to run automatically, in advance to users, many cycles on their prototype to identify early design issues and reliability risks. You can run 1000 cycles in a few weeks and get more cycle than any pilot will do over many years.
== If your mission does not require to climb 1000 m AGL before starting your task and you don't have the expectation to have the energy to come back home even when 100 km away, then FES is a solution. Otherwise, Pylon mounted electric pusher is probably the way to go.

"Nevertheless, I consider starting the engine outside of sure and easy glide to a known landing site foolhardy and know many pilots who have done so resulting in considerable drama"
== Amen