Old February 7th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fortunat1

Default North Aire floats.

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"Fortunat1" wrote

Well, I imagine that metal floats might be more maintenence free and
easier to repair, not to mention more impervious to getting water
logged. having said that, I don't know enough about either to make an
informed decision there, but more than that I just want to try
something in sheet metal, never having made more than cowlings and
covers out of the stuff before..

Understood...

Although, metal corrodes, especially in sal****er.

Well, yes, but I'm not planning on any sal****er

Wood does not. It also does not matter to wood one little bit if the
water is salt or fresh.

Wood boat has been done for many years. Epoxy coatings make wood
practically immune to rot. Some also use wood as a core, and a very
thin fiberglass coating inside and out to protect the wood. Some of
the best looking and best performing homebuilts are built that way.

You have to follow your own heart with a material choice, of course,
but don't write off wood.

Already have..