Old February 26th 04, 02:41 AM
Brian

"R. David Steele" wrote in message

|I doubt it, the V-22 doesn't strike me as a very efficient platform for
|SIGINT.

Actually it would do well for the Army and Marines. The Army
uses the EH-60A with the Quik-Fix (AN/ALQ-151) system. It is
their main SIGINT system and does countermeasures.

Quickfix is simply a horrible system which is why it's nearly (or is it
completely) gone. Army tactical sigint is still in the 80's.

The RC-12 Guardrail is another platform based on the Beechcraft
Super King Air (C-12). It is a SIGINT, ELINT and COMINT
platform.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell.../guardrail.htm

Thus I do feel that the V-22 could do either the Quickfix or
Guardrail missions for the Army.

Could it do it? Sure. Would it be efficient? Probably not. I can't imagine
it's a great platform for sticking all kinds of antennas on and doing orbits
for hours. If they want a manned platform, a EC-2 might be a good idea but
it looks like UAV's will do it couple with (hopefully) more support fom the
EP-3's.