Old October 29th 03, 10:16 PM
Bill Daniels

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message

JJ, you've had some bad experiences and I'm sorry for that. But you have

realize that there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of winch
launches all around the world that go off without a hitch simply because

the
people involved know what they are doing.

The subject under discussion is a club that is thinking about trying a new
launch system, winch launching and now pay-out winch. My point in posting

on
this subject is to show what can happen when unskilled club members try a

new
system.
JJ Sinclair

OK, JJ, If they are unskilled and insist on REMAINING unskilled, I'll give
you the point. Everybody starts out unskilled, however - I don't hold that
against them.

I don't think you are dissing ground launch, you're just warning that any
group needs to realize that there is a steep learning curve ahead of them.
I'll agree with that.

They've learned to fly gliders however, so they can't be dumb. I think they
can learn to operate a winch safely and enjoyably IF they take the trouble
to learn the art and science of it. There are lots of books to read and
this medium, the internet, connects us with the world where there is a
wealth of knowledge about ground launch.

If someone wanted to do the world of ground launch a great favor, they would
start a web site where the collective wisdom of the world could be displayed
so that anyone wishing to undertake winch launch could go there and get an
education.

Any volunteers?

Bill Daniels

I say learn and enjoy.