Old January 31st 05, 12:04 AM
Daniel L. Lieberman

Bob,

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something but Figure 4-3-2 of the 2005 AIM
Shows only one entry to the pattern.

That is what you suggested. The straight in (his second choice) is probably
more dangerous. I would be concerned about the possibility of (if there is
an Instrument Approach to 36) someone coming in behind or above me.

I will look up the AC you referenced in an attempt to learn more. I know one
of the local DPEs might fail the straight in since he says the PTS
incorporates the AIM.

Daniel

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
I like your first solution better than the second. Having said that,
neither the regs nor the AIM provide much guidance in the situation you
describe. Look at Advisory Circular 90-66A for more relevant information.

Bob Gardner

wrote in message
Consider you're NE of the airfield, non towered airport, runway 18/36,
standard left pattern applies, with runway 36 the active. I'm
interested in hearing what your personal method of joining the pattern
would be, while adhering to the FAR's and AIM.

I've two thoughts:

Fly south, then west, pass overhead the field, and then 2 or 3 miles
later do a descending 225 degree right turn, and join on a 45 degree
to downwind, or

Stay east and then south of the airport, and join a straight in
outside 5 sm.

Opinions?

Stan

http://www.usenet.com