Old December 12th 14, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Tom Docherty

Default F-8 Crusader in Aeronavale service

I am in the early stages of researching the Crusader for an article, hopefully to be published in early next year. In particular I would like to hear from French Aeronavale pilots (or USN pilots who had exchange tours with the French, or USN pilots who flew the type).

I am hoping to get responses from Crusader pilots about:

The flying characteristics of the F-8.
Was it an easy aircraft to fly?
What were the dangers of flying the type - could you get into trouble easily on the edge of its flight envelope?
Was the cockpit ergonomically easy to work in or was it a bit like being a one-armed paper hanger?
What was its strongest virtue?
What was its greatest vice?

I would also appreciate stories of combat operations, exercises, close calls in training and/or poor weather. Also any photos, particularly air-to-air shots you may have. Tales of high pressure operations as well as anything liked or disliked about the F-8.

From ground crew I would like to know about the ease or difficulty of maintaining the aircraft. What was the worst job to complete? What became unserviceable most often keeping the aircraft on the ground? Tales of high pressure operations for the ground crew during various operations.