Old September 14th 17, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default L-13 AMOC

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 7:46:23 PM UTC-6, C-FFKQ (42) wrote:
Slightly off topic, but how many Blaniks would fit into a container? Just curious.

The most gliders I've seen arrive in a single container were six PW-5's and involved some creative bracing. Three would seem about right for a 40ft. A few shippers will move the larger High Cube 45' and 48' foot intermodal containers between the US and Europe (if that includes CZ, hard to say). Appears the 53' currently only go between Asia and the US. Of course this could always change.

Whether someone could be creative with the height of the longer High Cubes, one could imagine getting 4 or 5 in a single container, but a sixth would be difficult.

From my experience for hull value insurance, professional packing and bracing is required. Been there, done that with a single L-23. The standard carrier loss coverage used to be something like $0.50/lb, but that's a long time ago, inadequate for most items.

FWIW, the forwarder we used from US to Argentina would not ship for individuals, only for 'companies'. Our glider club qualified.

YMMV,

Frank Whiteley