Old June 22nd 04, 01:20 AM
Lennie the Lurker

Jim Weir wrote in message . ..

Did you really LOOK at his post, Lennie? All the bitches about the airplane
were of the "I didn't like the way it looked." Not one single, "this measured
outside of the limits set by the xyz approved data sheet."

A pilot that will fly in a plane that has that many things "He doesn't
like" can be called only a goddam fool.

He didn't like the aileron ball joints but
had no idea why they were frozen. He didn't like the flap mechanisms but had no
data on which to base his complaints...yada...yada...yada...

Anyone with the amount of experience Bill has shouldn't need data
sheets to decide for himself what is acceptable and what is not. Data
sheet be damned, if it's not right, it's not right.

Berle was too stupid to ask the question.

Sorry, but after several years of correspondence with him, that
statement is totally wrong. When I bought my 1-26 I got more solid
information from him than I did from the rest of the soaring group.

-lot of other major work needed doing, not disclosed beforehand either.

What major work needed to be done? Quote me from Berle's post, will you?

Flap rails, aileron ball joint, seat rails, excessive play in yoke, I
doubt that any of these are going to be cheap to fix.

All I
saw were some rantings from a person who expected to see a show airplane for a
beater price.

He stated quite clearly that that was not what he expected, but did
expect an airworthy aircraft from the owners description and answers.
Any halfway sane buyer is going to ask about any major damage, and to
my mind, replacing a wing and the nosewheel mount qualify as major.
As does any structural damage. Was the engine torn down after it was
flipped? If it caused the replacement of the prop, chances are good
that damage was also done to the engine.

You got a nine inch South Bend for sale? I'm in the market.

You're only number 25 on the list. Had guys after that since the day
I brought it home, in pieces. Still have a lot of work to do to make
it run, and then if it's not to my specs, it won't be sold. As it is
now, a POS, when I'm done it might be a running POS and require all
the experience my 44 years in machining can give to do any acceptable
work. (I didn't say respectable, just acceptable.) Until it cuts
metal, I don't know what it is.