Old November 17th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Being towed too slow?

Hey, glider pilots, go back to your FARs -- they require you to agree
with the tow pilot on four points before taking off: "airspeed
limitations, emergency procedures, signals, and maximum angles of
bank." (FAR 61.69). Some of this is standardized, so you don't have
to say you'll use specific signals, but speeds vary according to
ballasting, etc. So not only is it a good idea to talk to the tow
pilot, it is actually a requirement. When I'm towing I want to talk
to the glider pilot prior to hookup anyway so I know he has a working
radio and I know who will be billed. So to standardize, I like
towpilots to establish radio contact as you are being hooked up and
find out WHO the pilot is and Where he wants to go. A third item is
obviously the radio check, but if you've passed the name and
destination along, you've also established that your radio is
working. And this is the time to pass on your required tow speed.
Fred