Old March 31st 04, 08:17 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Darrell" wrote in message
news:4EDac.30634$wl1.5635@fed1read06...
Kevin Brooks wrote:
"Darrell" wrote in message
news:sTnac.30514$wl1.6853@fed1read06...
B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

Darrell wrote:
B-58 we also had high speed segments which
we flew at 600 KIAS.

Darrell, how did the B-58 ride at 600KIAS down low?
The B-57 would crack your head on the canopy bouncing along at 360
on a hot day, near 500' AGL
At least we were going slow enough to read the names of the towns
as we went by.............

It flew pretty smooth, Rick. With the delta wing it seemed like it
cut through the turbulence. Sort of like water skiing. With 2 skis
you feel every ripple. With a single slalom ski it bites deeper
into the water and dampens out lots of the surface turbulence. With
moderate turbulence we'd get an occasional slap-bang but not very
bad. This, at a time when B-52s were aborting the route due to
turbulence.

Since the B-58 community must have been rather small, given its
limited production and service life, I wonder if you recall ever
serving with a pilot by the name of Wright? He also flew the
B-66/EB-66 at some point in his career.

Brooks

Rick Clark
MFE

Yeah we had a guy whose nickname was "Wingtip" Wright who supposedly

dinged
a wing tip of a B-58. We had both a Charles R. Wright and a John C.

Wright.

I cannot recall the gentleman's first name. He retired as an LTC, probably
in the very early seventies; went onto a second career as a mathmatics
teacher. He was my ninth grade geometry teacher back in the 75-76 timeframe.
ISTR he said he liked flying the B-58, and I remember he was a particularly
religious gent. Interestingly, we had a second teacher at our school who was
also a retired SAC vet; B/N on B-47's, survived one crash (either landing or
T/O, can't recall which) and spent about a year convalescing--used to laugh
about how his buddies used to collect him and wheel him out to the
flightline and cram his rearend into an aircraft periodically so he could
still collect his flight pay while he was doing so.

Brooks

--

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
-