Old July 19th 04, 04:50 AM
xeM

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:32:18 GMT, "Chip Jones"
wrote:

SNIP

.. He's about 150 NM north of ATL.
The pilot calls my trainee and asks for permission to turn off his
transponder for five minutes so that he can "Go download the latest
weather". The trainee had to ask the pilot to say his request again, and
then looked askance at me for an answer. All I could say was "Well, that's
a new one for me, bud. Let him do it and we'll see what happens".

SNIP
I thought I understood the basics of some of the new in-cockpit weather
tools for GA aircraft. I figured he was getting the latest Nexrad picture
from some online resource. What I don't understand is why he needed to turn
his transponder off to do so. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Chip, ZTL

Chip,

I think he must have been using Anywhere Map WX softare. One of the
way's it gets the Nexrad is via a Satphone. I think I remember a tech
note on their support page mentioning interference on the WX download
with certian King transponders. I bet he had one of those
transponders.