Old December 26th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

Default Cleared for the ILS 16 or circle to land 34 question?

On 12/26/06 05:49, Sam Spade wrote:
C J Campbell wrote:
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 15:26:46 -0800, Sam Spade wrote
(in article ):

Or you could have circled-to-land following the normal VFR pattern for
the airport since the weather was VFR. Circle-to-land needs to be
modified to conform to local traffic expectations when the weather is good.

Why? Most towers expect you to circle at the circling minima. They will tell
you if they want you to do something else.

Why do you think they would expect you to disregard local traffic
pattern and perhaps noise abatement procedures when the Class D surface
area is VFR?

Because you're flying a practice IAP.

If it is a training flight I would certainly make it clear
with them before I descended to the circling MDA (assuming here that it
is significantly lower than standard traffic pattern altitude).

That was done by asking to fly the approach, and getting the (practice)
clearance from ATC and them handing the flight off to the tower.

At least at the towers I've practiced at, they've expected me to fly
the circling maneuver, and they've accommodated it as necessary. After
all, the circling maneuver is part of what I want to practice.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA