Old December 13th 18, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Are air filters necessary on Pitot, static or TE lines?

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 21:55:48 -0800, krasw wrote:

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 6:14:54 PM UTC+2, Pete wrote:
What filters are you recommending that cost nothing and work well? I
was thinking of going to Autozone and buying small-motor gas filters?
If there is something better I would like to use it.

Yes they are small gas filters from auto parts store. Smaller is always
better, with big filter you are effectively increasing the tube volume
between instrument and probe which can be problem for variometers.

Some of the lines in my Libelle are fitted with small paper filters: made
by Crosland and fitted to Triumph Spitfires, TR6 and MGB amongst other
cars. The body is transparent plastic, 40mm overall diameter, 45mm long
and with 30mm inlet and outlet stubs suitable for 5mm or 6mm tubing.
They've been in the glider since I got it, but their location in the
plumbing is irrational - both filters are in the TE line AFTER to Y-split
to feed both varios and nothing in either static or pitot lines.

So, I've just bought two more for connection rationalisation and
installation this winter: they were fairly inexpensive. Off eBay at just
over GBP 5.00 each including P&P.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org