Old May 9th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default new twin concept from Cirrus

"Kingfish" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd read several references about Cirrus developing the P-Jet, which I
assume would seat four including pilot. This got me thinking about
other segments they might explore. Considering the success of their
SR20 & SR22 series, what are the chances of a SR-derived twin? A
four-place fixed-gear composite twin (or, potentially a stretched
6-place variant) available with either the IO-360 or IO-550 if you
really wanna boogie.
My guess is such a plane with the 310hp motors should have a 210-220kt
cruise based on the Baron's advertised 200kt cruise with 300hp Contis.
The 200hp engines would make for a 180-190kt cruiser, based on the
Seminole's advertised 168kt cruise with 180hp Lycomings. The CAPS
system might be an even bigger selling point in a twin considering the
Vmc rollover potential, although that situation normally happens right
after takeoff and the acft may not have gained enough altitude for the
system to be effective. Let the pocket-protector types figger out how
to make it work at low alts. They'd also have to ditch the single lever
power controls (which I've read many pilots don't care for) and add
separate prop controls, or some kind of electric feathering control.
I don't think a Cirrus twin is too much of a stretch considering how
quickly they've caught up to Cessna after only 6(?) years building
certified acft. If the Klapmiers can make a business case for a twin I
think they'd sell quite well, even considering the cost of 100LL right
now. Hmmm, maybe Thielert diesels...

rambling mode off

If I was in the market for a light twin I would take a long hard look at the
Diamond twin, seems like a nice aircraft and uses what, 8 GPH *total* or
close to it!

DW