Old September 12th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Children in gliders?

I took my grandson at the age of two. We removed the normal seat from
the club L-23 and used the regular harness to secure his FAA approved
car seat into the rear cockpit area. This secured him and also
elevated him enough to see out.

For two weeks before the flight, we went to the club and strapped him
in the back while I was in the front. We would then raise the wing and
make small bounces and motions sitting there on the ground. This got
him used to the eventual motion of flight. I also gave him a
disconnected microphone so he 'talk' on the radio. He really liked the
phrase 'roger dodger'.

The flight took place during morning calm and was a sled ride from
pattern altitude. He thoroughly enjoyed it and talked about it for
many months afterward.

Horst
L33