Old January 7th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Buck Murdock

Default Confusion about when it's my navigation, and when it's ATC

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Sam Spade writes:

In those $10 million simulators it sure as Hell ain't windows.

I don't know...

And that would be the key point. I *do* know. I operate them for a
living, doing airline training in them.

... Windows
might well be used for certain functions, as it would lower
implementation costs if the OS is suitable for the purpose (writing a
custom operating system is very expensive).

Hence the $12 MM pricetag for a typical Level D simulator, and the
nearly $1000/hour you'll pay to fly it.

But one
cannot use just anything, because the more exotic the OS, the more
expensive the development carried out for it.

Yes. Which is why a full-motion simulator is not available for $69 at
CompUSA.