Old December 4th 17, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default iPhone X and iGlide - the verdict is in.

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 6:35:44 PM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
A minor nit:Â* XCSoar uses line, the width of which varies with climb
rate, rather than individual dots.Â* I find it very intuitive.

On 12/3/2017 2:26 PM, jfitch wrote:
On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 9:13:38 AM UTC-8, 6PK wrote:
On Friday, December 1, 2017 at 9:47:40 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
Does the iThingy have Bluetooth or wifi?Â* Either of those would be the
way for data transfer to/from the vario.Â* At least that's how it works
in the Android world.

On 11/30/2017 9:27 PM, SoaringXCellence wrote:
The iPad Mini is roughly the same size as the Nexus 7 I used in my glider. Get a Ram system (one inch ball) and screw a diamond ball to a hard shell case for the Mini. Should be too tough. The hard part may be the connection between the vario and the iPad.

Mike
--
Dan, 5J
From what I understand...the IPhone can only be connected via wifi to a flight computer, none of the blue tooth connectors popular in soaring will work, but I stand to be corrected.

You are correct that iGlide must use WiFi. This can be connected to any vario system that puts out an LX compatible (And possibly C302) serial stream, using the Air Connect WiFi bridge. It will not work with Bluetooth - I believe this is due to Apple's very restrictive use of Bluetooth. It will connect directly to an Air Vario with a WiFi stick.

The climb maximizer or thermal assistant is the rather typical trail of dots, the size of each represents the rate of climb. That is similar to SYM, XCSoar, etc. I don't find that particularly useful. If connected to an Air Vario however, you will get, in each dot, an instantaneous wind vector. This is highly useful. The flow field in and near a thermal deviates towards the core, and this is easily seen in the wind vectors. No other vario will do that, since they do not compute wind fast enough.

Without a connection to any vario, iGlide makes a very functional glide computer using the iPhone GPS and barometric sensors. You will not get variometer function or Flarm targets, but pretty much everything else. There have been occasions when my iPhone disconnected from the vario, it then defaults to internal, and I have not noticed the change for some time at it works nearly as well.

--
Dan, 5J

XCSoar has, or has had, several styles of presentation. It cannot depict the wind in the thermal though. When using XCSoar I prefer the simple thermal center indication, along with the circling arc prediction. In thermal assistants, no one has yet come close to duplicating the original WinPilot version, both in presentation and accuracy. ClearNav has recently copied it directly, at least the presentation - I don't know how accurate it is. WinPilot has said they will port the old thermal assistant to the new WinPilot Live, but I haven't seen it yet.