Old July 10th 05, 06:09 PM
Fred Choate

Dan, you may be right.......

I am reading the FAR's right now, and under 61.23 in section C paragraph 2
there is some language there that may support what you say.

Fred

"Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote in message
Before following Fred's advice below I would check the Sport Pilot medical
info. I think a refusal of a medical may prevent you from using a driver's
license for light sport.

"Fred Choate" wrote in message
I would say to go get the medical and see. If it is denied, you are only
out $100 roughly, but you may find out that you are qualified.

Also, there is the sport pilot stuff now, where you only need a drivers
license I believe. I actually haven't read all the sport pilot
requirements, but that is an option to look into if you can't get the
medical approved for the private rating.

Fred

"Doug S" wrote in message
So, after a few years of putting it off (actually..."after a few years
of saving enough $$$"), I decided I want to get a private pilot cert.
Welllll...from the time that I first wanted to do that (about 10 years
ago) until now, I've had some changes in my medical status, which will
*definitely* require a waiver. The question to the group is, what are
my chances? In other words, I don't want to go through the hassle of
getting all my records together if there's not much of a chance I will
receive the waiver. On the other hand, if people think that the waiver
is probable, what steps should I take? Should I get the records
together first and then take the medical? See, I don't want to even
start taking instruction (and spend the $$) if there's not much of a
chance that I'll be able to get the cert...

In a nutshell:
31 year old otherwise healthy male (6'3" 190 lbs).

1998 or so, taken to the hospital due to an anxiety attack (severe
heartburn thought to be a heart attack that snowballed). Nothing
serious, haven't had one since...
12/00 - DUI
10/01, 02/02 - Hospitalizations for situational depression. (1 week each
time) Was prescribed Paxil at the time (see below)
08/02 - Over night observation hospitalization for slip-and-fall with
loss of conciousness. All tests (CT, Xray) negative, no residual
effects apparant.

Since about 1994 or so, I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my
knees. I have taken everything from Advil to Vioxx for relief (see
below)

In early 2003, I was taken off the Paxil by my GP, showing no signs of
depression.

Now, within the past year or so, I started getting severe headaches.
Note: I have NOT seen a neurologist; but these headaches have been
diagnosed by my GP as migraine (with aura, by the way, so I actually
know about 10 minutes before they occur). At their peak they were
occurring about 4-5 times a month. This was also about the time that my
GP put me on the COX-2 Inhibitor class of drugs (Vioxx/Bextra/Celebrex)
for my knees. We were playing "musical chairs" with the drugs to try to
find the best acting drug (none of them seemed to be particularly
effective). This was due to..

Fatty liver diagnosis. I need to stay away from Tylenol and alcohol...

Anyway, back to the migraines. I was NOT put on any prophylactic for
the migranes, but prescribed a triptan for treating the attacks
(specifically Relpax).

About February of this year, my GP put my on Daypro (NSAID class) for my
knees and took me off the COX-2s. Since then (actually about 2 weeks
later), my migraines have stopped occurring...I have not required a
dosage of Relpax. Now I am beginning to wonder if it was actually the
COX-2 drugs that were partially responsible for the migraines.

So currently, my medical status is:

1) Fatty liver: Stay away from products containing Acetomenaphin , and
also alcohol.
2) Borderline high cholestorol: My GP wants me on Lipitor, but due to
the liver side effects I am wary. I have not started taking the drug,
but am first trying to lower it through diet and exercise
3) History of migraines. Controlled by acute intervention medications.
No attack in the past four months, could be related to the drug
switching.
4) Osteoarthritis in the knees. Controlled by Daypro with no
discernable side effects except upset stomach if I don't take it with
food.

What do y'all think, is it possible, or just a pipe dream?

Thanks...