Old September 7th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Ash

Default iPhone Glide Computer

Kloudy via AviationKB.com u33403@uwe wrote:
Is it just me or does the potential of using an iPhone also as a Glide Comp
seem like a cool idea.

I don't have one, nor do I plan to in the near future (maybe when the price
comes down another $200).
But I was just thinking about the devices I do use on occasion, PDA, mobile
phone, internet desktop, flight computer, all combined into one critter would
be kinda neat.

Whattya think?

I think the lack of GPS kills it for now.

If and when Apple adds GPS I think it could be a pretty good platform. The
touchscreen seems ideal and the hardware is nice and powerful. One problem
is the lack of a sanctioned way to develop for the platform. It's hackable
but without an official way it's likely to remain the realm of hobbyists
and limit the amount of software available.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software