Old November 20th 12, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default U.S. glider operations fuel prices

On Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:23:57 PM UTC-7, John Cochrane wrote:
On Nov 20, 12:30*pm, Soarin Again wrote:

I recently read a a blurb on the SSA home page that claims the following.

High AVGAS prices ($6-$13/gal currently) are hurting aero tow operations.

Ultimately, US soaring will have to adopt fuel efficient winch launch to

keep the sport affordable

Boy, there is a lot of editorial mixed up with facts there!

Our club flies out of a 1600' runway. Winch would mean buying $1

million or more of land.

Winch means more people. OK, if you have people wiling to work for

free (or not count the actual cost of their time) good for you. If

we're talking about a commercial operation, it's not at all clear that

two more employees at x per hour is cost effective.

John Cochrane

Sorry, John. With respect, it's your facts are mixed up. Unless you're considering wing-down takeoffs, the minimum winch crew is exactly the same as aero tow - pilot, winch operator, wing runner. The wing runner or winch operator can retrieve the rope. Unlike aero tow, more people can be used effectively with winch launch but they're not absolutely necessary.

As for your airfield, well that's your situation. Others have different situations. And, the economics very much favor the winch.