Old September 18th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default Practicing my scan

Paul Tomblin wrote:
Get yourself a yoke. I like the CH which also includes throttle, gear and
flap switches, along with several programable other switches. I am a firm
believer

Many years ago I bought a CH yoke and a copy of Elite, but I never used it
because I just hated the feel of the CH yoke. The springs just don't act
anything like a real plane, especialy in pitch. I ended up not using it
for pitch at all, just flying the trim. Are the new ones better?

I don't know. The one thing I did which improved mine no end on controlling
pitch was I lubricated the shaft with silicon grease. Before each session I run
it back and forth while turning it to its stops, which breaks up any friction
points. It operates MUCH more smoothly at that point.

Hey, this isn't going to convince anybody it's an acceptable substitute for an
airplane. But it will get your scan back up to speed... which is all you really
care about, right? It's also very good for remembering procedure.

As little as I fly these days, I typically will fly the approaches I am most
likely to get on the cross country on the sim a day or so before the real trip
in the airplane. Then everything just seems to slow down to a manageable level
if I get into some weather.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com